Saturday 2 January 2021

Spb, The Frozen Canals


The breakfast at the hotel was really poor. In fact, it was delivered to the room in a box, simply because the dining room was closed during this goddamned Corona-period. At least there was a plastic cup of white wine in the box. The cheap one. But it is something to cheer up.


The only entertainment in Saint Petersburg these days is walking in the streets and to stare around. So, I headed to the Nevsky Prospekt in the direction of the Palace Square.


On the way to the square I meet several frozen canals and rivers. In summer I like to walk unhurried along them. But it is quite cold  these days (the 2nd January, indeed).


I wonder, how many bridges in Saint Petersburg. Google says there are 800 bridges, including 218 pedestrian ones. Surely, I have not seen them all, but even those which I have met are extremely remarkable, and they all are of the unique design. I really love the bridges all along with the facades of Saint Petersburg.



Neva river is also frozen. Obviously, there are no leafy trees, and the facades of the opposite bank look bare.


I turned back to the hotel, and on some street I finally met some festive decorations. Finally, I could feel the real atmosphere of the New Year. 


After having some rest at the hotel, I took a taxi and headed to the New Holland Island. Currently, this small, triangular artificial islet is the unique space in the metropolis wholly dedicated to culture, gastronomy and leisure. And now it is another crowded spot in the city, where the celebration is in progress.




To sum up, I am quite satisfied with what I have seen today. I was able to feel the festive mood and to relax somehow. That was good.




No comments:

Post a Comment