Saturday 14 February 2015

Belokuriha. Russian Switzerland.

The long stairs to the sanatorium The view on Belokuriha

This year I am planning to spend my vacation in the Russian resort. And it is quite unusual for me, because all these years I have spent my holiday predominantly abroad. Still, now I have a strong desire to learn the Russian nature and the Russian heritage much closer.

Honestly, thanks to my current work I have had great opportunity to travel all over our huge country and to see such old cities as Pskov, Kostroma, Velikiy Novgorod and Saint Petersburg, where you can be fully immersed in history and majesty of Russia. However, visiting health resorts in Russia is about absolutely different experience, and I am going to write about this now.

Well, I go to Belokuriha, balneological resort, which is located at the foothills of the Altay region on the height of 240-250 metres above the sea level. And my primary goal is having some relaxation.


The town of Belokuriha is such a small town with only 15 000 inhabitants. I really appreciate its peace and calmness. And I am absolutely sure that for people, who love solitude, it is a good place, at least in winter.


My sanatorium Rodnik Altaya, which I have chosen to stay in, is situated in the very beginning of the resort. So it is quiet here, and people say that there is a good treatment here. We arrived at 3 o'clock at night, and it took us roughly 6 hours to get here from Novosibirsk by minibus. I would say, it is not so far in terms of our boundless Russia.


In fact, some years ago there were two different sanatoriums here - Rodnik Altaya and Zdravnica Kuzbassa. But now they are combined in one establishment. Traditionally, people, who come here regularly, are from Kemerovo or Novokuznetsk.


My room is really nice for its price. It could be even cheaper if I had chosen a double room, but in that case I would share it with a stranger. So, I am alone.
Fortunately, before arriving I had asked for the upper floor, and now I have a picturesque view with pine trees out of my windows.


In the morning I had an appointment with a general practitioner. Actually, I have chosen a "slight" program to improve my health. For that reason the doctor asked me the only question "what are you complaining about?". In the end, we have selected some health-improving procedures, which were included in the price of my voucher. I have also chosen some additional types of treatment as body massage and baths with such special ingredients as young horns of a deer.

That was an exhausting day, but as a reward I had found a marvelous place for ice-skating, which is located close to sanatorium Belokuriha. It was far-sighted of me to take the skates with me, so I could master my skills almost every day.


Another type of entertainment during my staying in sanatorium was playing billiards. Honestly speaking, I am not a good player, so I asked for some lessons from a barman. Surprisingly, I won a set in Russian pyramid. Nevertheless, it is very possible that my new acquaintance played in my favour.

Unfortunately, at night I have got a headache, but people warned me in advance that it could happen because of the rich ion content in the air. I hope, I will adapt to this feature very soon.

On the whole, the first day in Belokuriha was quite loaded. And I could not imagine, how I would cope with my treatment program and leisure activities, because I simply may not have enough time.



No comments:

Post a Comment