Sunday 22 August 2021

Spb, European Art


Again I woke up earlier to enjoy the silent beauty of Saint Petersburg. The weather is perfect, it is sunny and dry, and in my summer shorts it feels a little bit chilly, but I like it.


And again the breakfast at the hotel has not pleased me much. Still, I am full.


The new day and the new discoveries are awaiting me. And I am ready to absorb them all...

Meanwhile, when walking along the Fontanka river I have found myself in front of the beautiful Summer Garden.


Actually, the Summer Garden was laid out in 1704 by the order of Peter the Great, and now it is the oldest park in Saint Petersburg. The Garden is surrounded by water, because it is situated on the island bounded by the Fontanka, Moika, and Neva Rivers and the Swan Canal.


Undoubtedly, along with fountains the main feature of the Summer Garden is its sculptures. Actually, almost every sculpture in the Garden is a copy. But the original works can be found at the Engineer’s Castle.


Very well, I am heading to the Palace Square now, where I am going to visit one more museum. The museum is located in the left wing of the General Staff Building with a 580 metres long bow-shaped facade, right in front of the Winter Palace. Previously, the left wing was occupied by the Foreign Ministry and Finance Ministry, but now it is the part of the Hermitage Museum. The right wing these days hosts the headquarters of the Western Military District.


So, I am inside the museum space. Honestly, I was shocked by what I have seen there. And it was a positive shock, because I did not expect to see such beautifully renovated room behind these strict classical facades. There are lots of space, light and brave modern ideas in decorating the interiors.


French paintings of the 19th century, including the Impressionists, Post-Impressionists and the artists of the Nabis group, are greatly presented on the floors of the General Staff museum. There are also exhibited the gorgeous canvases of the masters from the 20th century.

Among my favorites are the masterpieces by Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Henry Matisse and Vasily Kandinsky. I have returned to the halls with these authors several times, despite the fact that it was forbidden to step back due to COVID-restrictions (as I was said, "the walking is only in one direction permitted").


Indeed, after fine art it is needed some fine food to be eaten. So, I am in search of some good restaurant to spend my evening time.


The restaurant "Salone pasta & bar" is located on the Fontanka embankment. At this Italian restaurant they make homemade pasta with some "canonical" Italian fillings such as parma or ragout barbaresco. Still, I was very delighted with antipasti and dorado fish with Gewurytraminer sauce. I recommend this atmospheric place by all means, but you should make a reservation in advance, because it is a very popular place at present days.


Good day today, indeed. I hope tomorrow will be not least good. In fact, I continue my cultural program, so I am going to visit another art gallery.


No comments:

Post a Comment