Friday 20 August 2021

Spb, Hit Refresh


Actually, it's been the second time in a year when I come to Saint Petersburg. Previously, it was kind of celebration of the New Year event, but due to some COVID-restrictions I could not enjoy the city at full strength. I really hope, that at this time everything is going to be different.

As the usual thing I start my journey from the Leningradsky station taking highspeed train Sapsan.


I arrive to the city at 11 am. So, I have almost three hours to walk before I can check in at the hotel. The weather is surprisingly superb.


Nevsky prospekt is extremely busy today, as if the Virus has gone, but we all remember that currently the masks on the public transport and shops are compulsory for wearing.

Meanwhile, I decided to get off the beaten path and to have a nice walking along the canals.


Honestly, Saint Petersburg with the occasional clouds in the sky is a very special thing. However, this summer is going to beat any records by the number of the sunny and hot days. So, probably very soon Saint Petersburg will become the sunniest place in Russia :-)
Still, I already started missing cloudy mood with drizzling rains, because such warm weather does not encourage drinking in a bar at all. As a matter of fact, many people come here primarily because of the bars, where they could have a drink in relaxing atmosphere. "Saint Petersburg is for drinking", people say. But at present, it is definitely suitable for walking and admiring the beauty around.


For this trip I have chosen to stay at the Ibis hotel on Ligovsky Ave, which is very close to the Leningradsky railway station. Its location is probably the only positive thing about the hotel, in my opinion. I have to mention that the service is awful here. Unfortunately, it is very late to change the place, because all notable hotels are already booked for the weekend. Surely, next time I will choose in advance another place to stay in. 
Still, the WI-FI is good enough here to do my job. By the way, it is Friday, and I do not have the official vacation, so I have no excuse to miss the online meetings.


In the meantime, the working week is over. I have had the call from my Moscow friend, who is also in Saint Petersburg now, so I could not miss opportunity to have a supper with him. First, it was a hamburger in some backyard cafe, and thereafter we settled down in the decent Belgium restaurant Trappist to drink some wine and to eat some snacks.


The friend is coming back to Moscow, but I am staying in Saint Petersburg for other three days.
Indeed, it was a good start of my weekend trip. I feel that I start making up for last time during my January adventure. I will try to control myself and will try not to get hammered in the popular bars of Saint Petersburg. Therefore, tomorrow I will continue my short foray with visiting the museums, which I missed so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment