Saturday 11 June 2022

Karlovy Vary, Another Birthday

Karlovy Vary is a famous resort town in the Czech Republic, and it has always been extremely popular among Russian people, who were arriving here to improve their health with the mineral water from the hot springs. Still, I came here for a weekend not to heal my body, but to have a short rest and to celebrate my birthday.

In fact, I have been living in Czechia for three months already. I have the residence permission, because I have signed the working contract with the local company. In spite of all nasty things happening around, I am quite satisfied with my staying in the beautiful city of Prague, but from time to time I am trying to choose some point of destination to explore, to have some relax and to recharge the batteries.


I travelled from Prague to Karlovy Vary by bus, because it is cheaper and faster in comparison to trains. Frankly speaking, I have been in this city before, but it was almost 12 years ago, when I first visited the Czech Republic. However, at this time I have noticed that the city is not as busy as it was before. Probably, it is the consequence of COVID-time, and less people may afford spend money on spa procedures. Still, the city looks pretty and neat.


For stopping over I have chosen a small run-family hotel in such a solitude place, in 3 kilometres from the bus station. The room is small, but quite comfortable for one person and it is very clean.


After having lunch at the hotel I headed for the city center. My route was along the Tepla river, which crosses the town. On the both sides of the narrow river I could see the attractive buildings of the hotels and sanatoriums. So, the entire city center can be superbly called a show of architectural jewels. Actually, these buildings are mostly from the 19th century in the style of historicism and Art Nouveau.


I have decided to visit all significant springs in Karlovy Vary and to try the mineral water. Of course, I do not expect to be healed during two days of drinking water, but still it may help to improve my digestion after having the lunch. In fact, there are 15 springs, which are made available to the public, and 12 springs are commonly used for drinking. Each of the 15 springs differs in the temperature (from 30 to 75 C) and the amount of dissolved carbon dioxide, so the specific spring can be prescribed for a certain disease. 


My celebration dinner was at the small restaurant near my hotel. They serve here fresh oysters and have a good variety of wines. It was the very nice ending of the day, and the very nice starting of my new year.


Tomorrow my friend is going to visit me in Karlovy Vary. It must be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment