Sunday 6 October 2019

Italy, Incisa in Val d'Arno

The valley of ValdarnoThe country road

This is going to be quite a long trip to the next place of my temporary stay. First I go to Empoli, then I move to Florence, and finally I arrive to Incisa.

Empoli railway stationThe railway station in Florence

Well, the train from Empoli to Florence was fully loaded. So many people want to see this magnetic birthplace of the Renaissance.
When I stopped at Florence for a while, I met the numerous crowds of enchanted tourists. Honestly, I got used to the solitude while living in the 'rural' villages of Tuscany, and now I feel rather uncomfortable at this vibrant city.

Incisa station

It is only 20 kilometres from Florence to Incisa. In fact, it was the first time when they checked the ticket on the train. Fortunately, I was rational enough to buy one.

Incisa is such a small but charming town with the population of 6 thousand people. Still, it looks rather vivacious, and there are several good restaurants here.

Incisa view

The street of IncisaIn Incisa

The old church

Very easy I could locate my apartment, and very soon I got acquainted with my hostess Verena. All of a sudden, Verena offered to show me the surroundings, which she is really fond of. So, we made a long walk around the nearby hill and it took us roughly two hours.

First, I was quite skeptic to hear from Verena that we were going to see some spectacular scenery. Yet, there were some picturesque views, but it was not exceptional for me at all, because I still kept in mind the magnificent images of Bagni di Lucca.

Val d'Arno

Meanwhile, Verena discovered to me, that Incisa is known for its castle, which dates back to the 11th century, and also for the name of the Renaissance poet Petrarch, who grew up here. She was also saying something else about the history of the town, but I could not memorize her stories. Yet, Verena is really passionate and aware of the place she is living at now.

The old house of Petrarca's familyTerracotta pipes in the old house

The Petrarca's house

However, many people find this place interesting mainly because of the fabulous view on the Valdarno valley. And when we reached the higher point of the hill, I truly understood, why Verena appreciated this area and why we made this 'tiresome' walking.

The fabulous view of the Valdarno valleyThe fabulous view of the Valdarno valley

Indeed, there is something special about Incisa. It is close to Florence with its architectural gems, and at the same time there is a great opportunity to enjoy this spectacular landscape every day. I believe, it is a perfect location if you are looking for a comfortable place for living and enjoying your life at the slow pace.

The typical view of Toscana region

No comments:

Post a Comment