Thursday 3 October 2019

Italy, The Walls of Lucca

The walls of the old cityThe fountain in the garden of Palazzo Pfanner

Today I move to another vacation house in Tuscany. And this is going to be quite a long journey, because I want to make several stop-overs. So, I set off early in the morning to be on time. First of all, I went to Lucca. It is not known how soon I will come back to this town, so I want to use any chance to visit this attractive place again.

As soon as I arrived to Lucca, I decided to walk around the old city following the path along the walls, which run for roughly 4 kilometres. As the walls lost their military importance, the top of the walls became a pedestrian promenade, and today it is one of Lucca's main attractions, where people may find rest from sightseeing by unhurried walking or biking. You may be surprised to hear that these walls, built in the 16th and 17th century, were designed by Leonardo Da Vinci.

Walking on the wallThe entrance through the wall

From the north city walls I have spotted the beautiful garden, which I definitely wanted to see closer. Eventually, I found the entrance to the park and discovered that this is the inner park of the Palazzo Pfanner constructed in 1660. People claim that this palace is one the most worth visiting among many others in the city. With the full ticket of 6.5 euro you can see the interior of the palace and the well-formed park.

Reflection in the mirrorThe bedroom

The grand staircase of the palaceThe view to the palace garden

So, coming out of the palace I descended an ornate covered staircase that brought me down into the elegant sculpture garden with a fountain and lush foliage.
The garden itself represents the baroque style and consists of the ornamental flowers, forest plants, earthenware pots of lemons and accompanies by the monumental string of 18th century statues depicting the deities of Greek Olympus and the Four Seasons. It is a very romantic place.

The statues around the fountain

The well-cut lawn

They claim that Lucca is one of the most well-preserved medieval town in the whole of Italy, with the planning of an ancient Roman city. Suddenly, I recalled another town from the medieval times, located in Belgium. I keep in view the town of Bruges, which I visited a year ago. Amazingly, these untouched cities are able to immerse you in the unique atmosphere of the historical place. And again I experience the poetic emotions while strolling around Lucca's streets among yellow facades of the old buildings.

A square towerSun blinds

A squareA standstill

After a quick walking around the town I headed for the train station.

First, I need to get to Empoli, which is in the direction of Florence. Meanwhile, I should mention that the direction to Florence from Pisa is very overcrowded! I can hardly imagine how it feels like on the weekend.

So, I had a short stopover at Empoli city. In short, I was not impressed by this mid-sized town. However, after the empty town of Bagni di Lucca I found Empoli very lively.

Empoli station

The next stop was at Ponte a Elsa. It is such a small town, but it has to offer some breathtaking views.

Ponte a Elsa station

The long shadowsThe tall trees at the sun set

The final stop was at the Granaiolo train station in the Fontanella village, where my guest house is located. It was absolutely dark when I left the train, but it was clearly seen that it was even more isolated and quiet place than Bagni di Lucca, and I am going to spend here the next three days.

A living room in the Italian house

No comments:

Post a Comment