Monday 30 July 2018

Prague, With the local guide

Franciscan gardenA park

At 10 am I have another excursion around Prague with the local guide Michaela. Briefly, we have made the journey from the Venclav square to the Letninske sady. On our way I had an introduction to the history of Prague, and Michaela was happy to answer any question.

One of the pleasant discoveries for me was the tranquil garden, hidden in the bustling centre and planted with the numerous fruit trees. It is called the Franciscan garden, and it sets right next to the Church of Our Lady of the Snows. The entrance to this 'secret place' is through a passage from Wenceslas Square, near the street of Vodickova.


Then we passed by one of the oldest markets in Prague - Havelske trziste. I should say, that fruits and vegetables are expensive here, but the small souvenirs are quite cheap.


50 metres from the market the restaurant Ceska Kuchyne is located, where the traditional food is served. Probably, one day I will come to this place, because the prices on display look promising.


Later there was the Powder Gate, 65 meters high, which is one of the important monuments of Late Gothic Prague. Basically, it separates the Prague's New Town from the Old Town, but formerly it was served as a gunpowder store and was part of the "Royal Way", involved into the process of the coronations of the kings.


Another landmark of Prague is the Church of Our Lady Before Tyn, which towers, 80 metres high, can be seen from all over the city. It is located on the Old Town square and partly hidden behind the four-storey Tyn School. The "unnoticeable" entrance to this church is along a passage from the square, through the third (from the left) of the Tyn School’s four arches.


On the Old Town square you will also find the prominent monument to Jan Hus. By the way, Jan Hus is the most important and influential religious reformer of the fifteenth century. His personality became the symbol of disagreement and the symbol of strength against the despotic regimes of that times. Martin Luther himself was strongly influenced by this Czech theologian.
One of the signs on the memorial, devoted to this philosopher, says "Milujte se, pravdy kazdemu prejte" or "Love each other and wish the truth to everybody".


Finally, we crossed the river Vltava and finished our excursion in the beer garden drinking a glass of beer and chatting freely about everything,


After the tour I have visited the places which were recommended by Michaela. First, it was the restaurant Lokal with relatively cheap prices and, secondly, it was the restaurant T-Anker on the roof of the shopping mall. The main feature of this restaurant is the fantastic view to Prague.


When I came back home I fall asleep at once. I woke up at 9 pm and felt extremely hungry. Therefore, I started to look for a place to eat not far away from my apartment. I stayed at the restaurant U Bansethu. Here, I went for the duck with sour cabbage and potato. In simple words, it was delicious. I would say that from that moment the duck has become my favorite dish. All in all, the supper cost me 150 crowns.




No comments:

Post a Comment