Saturday 11 March 2017

Europe, Oktoberfest-like

A beer fest in MunichIn anticipation of the event

My alarm clock did not wake me on time as I had planned yesterday. In fact, I did not pay attention that the alarm clock was set for week days only. So, I am in rush, completing my tasks before leaving the apartment. Taxi is waiting for me already...

It is Saturday, and I am setting off for 'The Grand Tour' around Europe. I call it 'The Grand Tour', because the trip covers three countries. Honestly, it is quite unusual for me. I mean, there was an unspoken rule to visit only one country during one journey. So, it is slightly different now.

Luckily, I am safe and sound at the airport, and there is plenty of time before departure. Phone calls, chatting, drinking coffee, and finally I am ready to board.

A cup of coffee before departure

My first point of destination is Munich. The flight takes about 6 hours and 20 minutes. Time-lag between Novosibirsk and Munich is also 6 hours.

While taking off I usually have the feeling of euphoria not only because of physical conditions, but because of the anticipation of something unexplored. I suddenly realized, that my long-expected vacation have just started.


Boeing 737-800. It is a window seat 11F, right next to the engine. Miraculously, the middle place is not taken, despite the fact that the plane is almost full. However, there is one disadvantage about my place. The armchair cannot be reclined.
Speaking about the cost for the return ticket to Munich from Novosibirsk, it cost me only 14500 rubles, which is incredibly cheap. Additionally, I have paid extra 450 rubles to have opportunity to choose the seat on the plane on my own. Initially, I did not want to pay for choosing a seat, but when I discovered that the seat, which was given to me automatically, was the worst on the plane (the last row close to the lavatory) I decided to pay for my personal choice.


We are going to fly across Russia, Belarus, Poland, the Czech Republic and Germany. The maximum height is 10.4 kilometres, and we move with the speed of 810 km/per hour. It is extremely chilly outside. Literally, it is -65 C.


Now we are approaching Munich. I can see through the windows the numerous wind mills, small villages with white houses and red roofs and lush grass. It is 11:50 and about 4 degrees at the airport. Another turn, and I can see a horizonless row of mountains. Spectacular view!


The first thing at the airport I wanted to do was buying a transport card. I was a little bit confused by the ticket machine (red box with the name 'Fahrkarten'), but luckily a Russian speaking woman helped me with purchasing a weekly ticket 'Isacard', which cost me 54,90 euro. It is very expensive! However, the wonderful thing about transport system in Munich is that you need only one type of ticket for any kind of transportation. While buying the ticket I was asked to chose the zones where I would like to travel, and I went for zones 1-14, including the Airport.

Now I am on S1 train, and I go to the Central Station (which is called 'Hauptbahnhof' in German). While travelling I noticed that German people greatly respect order and cleanness. Even on the train they have special employees, who regularly walk and clean the windows.


One interesting fact is that the cost of the journey by bus depends on the distance you travel, and you also can obtain a ticket aboard. However, be aware that the banknotes cannot be used for purchasing a ticket in a bus. Though, I am a lucky owner of the unlimited ticket.


Very soon I arrived to my new home for the next 5 days. The district, which I am going to live in, is a very quite place, and I hope to have a good sleep here after the long walking excursions.


After a small talk with my hostess I directed to the centre of Munich. With a bus I arrived at Viktualienmarkt, which is located right at the centre of Munich.
As I observed, Pauliner is probably the most popular kind of beer here. Additionally, the most famous and the cheapest street food is sausages. For example, Rostbratwurst with ketchup and mustard at Viktualienmarkt cost me 3.10 euro.


By the way, Viktualienmarkt is a daily food market, which covers 22000 square metres. The numerous stalls may offer everything that an experienced chef would want, including fruits, vegetables, venison, fowl, fish, sausages, herbs, spices, delicatessens and more. There are also bakeries, restaurants and flower shops here.
At Viktualienmarkt, you also can find a beer garden, which has seats for hundreds of people, and it is regarded as one of Munich’s most central beer gardens. It is common to bring there your own snacks and enjoy the atmosphere with purchased beverages. Simply, pick up some local cheese and sausages from the market and then take a seat in the beer garden, like the locals do!


I walked a few hundreds of metres from Viktualienmarkt and found myself at Marienplatz, the city's main square (since 1158). The square is dominated by Neues Rathaus (The New City Hall) with The Clocks.


I could not but visit another Munich's landmark - Frauenkirche (or Munich Cathedral). The church towers are widely visible because of the existing height limits. According to the narrow outcome of a local plebiscite, city administration prohibits buildings with a height exceeding 99 metres in the city center.


One of the main features in the Frauenkirche is the dark footprint, supposedly left by the evil at the entrance.


I was lucky enough to have been invited to the beer festival on my first day of staying in Bavaria. People told me that they booked the entrance to this event four months ago to have opportunity to take the seats at table.


The beer for this festival was made according to the old recipe of the monks, and it was very strong for me. Moreover, it is served in 1 litre mug. When we arrived at the beer garden, people were already tipsy and  they were having fun in full swing. The atmosphere was incredible! Despite the fact that there were so many drunk people there, I felt absolutely safe.
Another interesting fact about this celebration was that all people tended to climb the benches when the musical ensemble started playing the music. Unfortunately, it was not allowed to step on the table.



I could handle one mug of ale only. The celebration was in progress when we decided to go home by taxi. In fact, I should have gone to bed earlier, because I needed to recover after the long trip.
By the way, usual price for taxi is formed by such fares as 3.70 aboard and 1.90 euro per kilometre. All in all, we paid 11 euro for the way back home, which was about 4 kilometres away from the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment