Tuesday 21 March 2017

Europe, Piazzale Michelangelo

The Florence's viewThe view of the city Florence from Michelangelo Square

I am staying in the house, which is located in the remarkable historical area. Nearby there is a river which is mentioned in The Decameron. For this occasion I even have taken the book by Boccaccio from home. Picturesque landscape and exciting atmosphere!


I should use every minute in this marvelous city to discover more and more about Florence! After breakfast, which was prepared by my host, I immediately go to the bus stop.
It is the first time when I saw a controller on board. Luckily, I have a 7 days ticket with me, which was composted yesterday. Otherwise, I would be fined dramatically.


By the bus I go to Mikelangelo square, which is located on the hill. The panoramic view on the city is breathtaking from this point. Because of this spectacular city view it is also called "Florence's Terrace". You can see all the remarkable places, churches and palaces from this terrace. 


In the centre of the plaza there is a bronze replica of Michelangelo's David. The other copy is located in Piazza della Signoria in the exact spot where the original used to be placed. However, the original statue is in the Accademia Gallery now.


Just below the Piazzale Michelangelo you can find the Rose Garden, which is considered to be one of the most romantic corners of Florence. The garden is open all year round and has a free admission.




After the walking around the hill I came down and went out to the city centre. My next discovery was Piazza della Signoria, which is located not far from Piazza del Duomo. The main interest for me was an open-air sculpture gallery Loggia dei Lanzi (or Loggia della Signoria) keeping the examples of antique and Renaissance art (and it is absolutely free to visit!).



I am at Piazza del Duomo. I stepped into the cathedral, which is called The Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore. It looks impressive and marvelous outside, embellished with marble of different colours. However, it is ascetic inside, and only wonderful paintings on the dome are decorating this space.



It is lunchtime! Pizza Margheritta is usually the cheapest type of pizza in Florence (and probably everywhere else). So, I like it the most, because it consists of simple ingredients which I really adore: tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. I stayed in a good restaurant with an open kitchen to try my favourite pizza. Another pleasure for me was watching how the bearded cook was making my pizza.



After a tasty meal there was an unhurried walk in the city centre.




The rest of the day I decided to spend in the Mickelangelo view point. This time I went there on foot. Yes, it was not easy, but as a reward there were the amazing views.




On the main stairs, which are leading to the view point, now I can see numerous people, who are sitting in a relaxed mood, chatting and drinking wine.


Before my trip to Florence I had read a lot about Florence syndrome (known also as Sthendal syndrome). Indeed, if it is true that people may lose their conscious while they are visiting Florence, the real reason of such disorder must be the sky and the mountains, which surround the city and make the atmosphere very special. Anyways, I did not feel any dizziness or confusion at that moment.


I decided to stay on the hill longer to meet the sunset. With the darkness more and more people were arriving at the square. Probably, they also wanted to see Florence at night with the shining lights. It was fabulous!


The evening meal was at the family-run taverna close to my house. The prices are not cheap at all, but the service was warm, and the food was great there. I went for the warm salad with spinach and mozzarella.




No comments:

Post a Comment