Monday 19 March 2018

Europe, Canals instead of Roads

A canal in VeniceRialto Bridge in Venice

I have waken up several times during the night because of the metal sounds from the roof made by strong wind and heavy rain. It has been raining all night.

Six o'clock in the morning, and it is snowing. Just my luck! Now I regret to come to Venice at this time of real disaster. Probably, I should have stayed in Milan not to get disappointed about Venice. Just think about it, how would I make my way through all these deep puddles back to the station?! Many black thoughts came to my mind at that moment. Nevertheless, I fall in sleep again for another two hours.


Having looked out the window, I felt a kind of relief, because the street saw not flooded so dramatically as I imagined two hours ago. I think, I can walk safely without wellingtons.


Breakfast is served in another hotel, and I need to get to this place first. To my surprise, the breakfast was really nice.
After having the meal my mood has completely changed in more positive way, and I am ready to start the walking around the majestic city of Venice. Even the bad weather can not stop me now!


I started my exploration with boating. A day ticket for ferry cost me 20 euro. Nevertheless, it is much cheaper if you decide to hire gondola, for example. People say, that the gandolists all the time are protesting against the ferries because them take away their income.



The view from the water is completely different to what you may observe while you are walking in the city. It is absolutely fantastic! I wonder how these beautiful buildings do not sink.




I also had made a long way on foot. To my surprise, the puddles disappeared, and now I can walk without being afraid of soaking my feet and getting cold.
Undoubtedly, it is very easy to get lost. Luckily, I have my smartphone and the electronic map with GPS.



I am trying to extend the purchased ferry ticket, so I make three more journeys to some distant places and observe the face of the city from water.


What else to say about this short foray? I am very excited to find myself in this marvellous city of canals and grand palaces. Due to the bad weather there were not so many tourists here, so I could enjoy a quiet walk stopping at any place I liked.


In the evening I have a train back to Milan. For some reason the train was delayed, but I safely reached the city and found the accommodation. I was so tired that I fall asleep as soon as I touched the bad.








No comments:

Post a Comment